Dealing with Dementia
Dementia is a common illness for seniors. People with such a condition have a progressive brain disorder that makes them forget things, experience cognitive problems, unable to communicate properly, and incapable of caring for themselves. Additionally, dementia can cause mood swings and even change the person’s behavior. With these symptoms, dealing with such an illness is a tricky responsibility. But with professional caregivers, the specialized needs of these individuals can be addressed properly. Here are the common ways to deal with and take care of dementia patients:
- Set a positive mood for interaction.
- Get the patient’s attention.
- State your message clearly.
- Ask simple, answerable questions.
- Listen with ears, eyes, and heart.
- Break down activities into a series of steps.
- When the going gets tough, distract and redirect.
- Respond with affection and reassurance.
- Remember the good old days.
- Maintain sense of humor.
Apart from following these helpful tips, partnering with On Call Care Services LLC can make a difference. For more detailed information, contact us at 816-569-5470.